Let’s get cooking. I don’t know about any of you but when the weather is chilly, I like to have some warm soup. This is a great simple creamy tomato soup recipe that you can whip up pretty quickly. Once you have had this, you will never go back to canned tomato soup.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tbsp fresh basil (or ½ -1 tsp dried)
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups milk (you can substitute ½ with heavy cream)
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- In a large pot (I like to use my cast iron dutch oven), melt butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add four and whisk to combine.
- Add basil, sugar and salt. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk and whisk until combined. Cook and whisk on medium heat until thickened, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until combined.
- You can puree with an immersion blender (but I like mine nice and chunky) and serve.
You can top with parmesan cheese or any other favorite topping of your choice. It’s also great served with a french baguette. I typically do not have any leftovers when I serve this everyone wants seconds.
I hope that some of you try this recipe and let me know what you think. I’d love to see pictures too.