Let’s talk about kitchens. A kitchen is a key part of any home, think about how much time you spend in your kitchen. I know I spend a good bit of time in my kitchen starting in the morning making my cup of coffee or a cool refreshing smoothie after my workout to wrapping up my day by making sure the dirty dishes are in the dishwasher. A kitchen can be a focal point in any home. Some people will want specific features in their “dream” kitchen, whether that is a gourmet kitchen with a large island to a simple kitchen with the modern conveniences of a dishwasher. As a realtor I get the opportunity to see a lot of kitchens, which can be a headache for my husband because I find new features I think I would like in my kitchen.
Five items to consider when considering a kitchen remodel, small or big.
- Counters – there are a number of options to choose from
- Butcher block
- Ceramic tile
Some are more common than others. Some things to consider when making a choice are cost, maintenance, installation and availability.
- Sinks – once again you have options to choose from
- Double bowl
- Single bowl
- Stainless steel
- Farmhouse or apron sinks
- Top mount or drop-in
When choosing a sink the options seem endless. Make sure to consider which options will suit your lifestyle the best. A deep sink is nice when cleaning out a big pot for instance.
- Cabinets – Do you want to reface your existing cabinets that may still have good “bones” or paint them for a different style/look or maybe replace them all together? Your budget may play a big part in this decision. With new cabinets you have stock, semi-custom and custom options to consider. You could also consider something as simple as changing out the hardware if your cabinets are still in great shape. The new hardware can give your cabinets the fresh new look you wanted.
- Faucet – one of the most used items in the kitchen. This is definitely a style preference with so many color and material options. Functionality is a key part as well, like having a pull out faucet, which gives you all the convenience of the sprayer without taking the added space of a side sprayer. A 2021 faucet trend is the touchless option and the 2021 color trends for faucets are the two tone and copper options.
- Backsplash – once again the options are endless and you can get creative and do some outside the box DIY options as well as the more traditional.
- Subway tile
- Glass or Ceramic tile in trendy colors and patterns
Still in 2021 the top trend for backsplashes is tile. This is mostly due to the durability, affordability and trendy color options.
We recently completed a facelift on our kitchen. We wanted to customize ours more to our style as well as update some dated features but stay with an affordable budget. We opted to do new counters, sink, faucet, backsplash and hardware and keep our original cabinets that were still in great condition. These changes made a world of a difference and made the kitchn look much more modern. Are you considering a facelift or maybe an entirely new kitchen? We would love to hear what you decided to go with when choosing your options to see if the 2021 trends are really what are being utilized.